Thursday, January 5, 2012

Babies Really Are NOT That Expensive

Babies Really Are NOT That Expensive

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Oh Baby Show in London...to network my doula services and childbirth education classes. The big convention arena was packed with suppliers and thousands of new and expectant parents. After the show, I rode home on the Tube with a couple expecting their first baby in a few months. They were loaded down with 7 bags...probably spent £500 or more. As the mother of six, I have discovered a huge secret...new babies just don't need that much and are NOT that expensive.

I went home and began my list of absolute must-have's for new babies. Then I posted it to my blog and a couple of on-line forums asking my friends to contribute. I was a bit shocked at some responses...since I said ABSOLUTE must-have's. So I rephrased the question: If you were on a deserted island what would you absolutely have to have for your baby. These are our results. But before I actually write the short list, there are a couple of assumptions here.

First of all, the single most expensive part of a new baby can be feeding: bottles, sterilizer, and of course formula. This list assumes that for health, emotional and financial reasons you have chosen to breastfeed your baby. I was asked on the forums about what if I can't breastfeed. The truth is that with good support 98% of can exclusively breastfeed...even two babies. If you do encounter problems, La Leche League has on-line support as well as local groups in many countries. If the problems do not respond to the volunteer support, then a qualified lactation consultant (ilca.org/) may still be more economical and better for you and the baby than formula feeding.

The second assumption is co-sleeping...sleeping with your baby. When I wrote my list, several people emailed that the baby needed a 'safe' place to sleep. This illustrates the most common mis-conception...that co-sleeping increases the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) also called cot death. But the truth is that if done properly, co-sleeping may actually reduce your baby's risk of SIDS. But what is proper co-sleeping?
Never co-sleep if you have been drinking, using drugs (even some prescriptions) or smoke. Do not co-sleep in a water-bed, on a sofa or chair with large cushions or under large duvets.

If you follow those rules, then co-sleeping can be a mutually beneficial arrangement that allows parents to get more un-interrupted sleep and baby the security of being close to mum and dad. Co-sleeping is especially beneficial if you are breastfeeding.

Of course both of these assumptions are personal parenting choices that for whatever reason, you do not feel is right for your family. The list below still applies. Just realise that you will have additional purchases necessary for your baby.

So here goes:
Diapers - for the economics and the environment, cloth are best 7 to 10 of the onsies...body suits for summer and long footed ones for winter 2 to 3 jumpers/sweaters 5 to 6 pairs of socks 2 or 3 thin blankets 1 or 2 thicker blankets 1 or 2 nice outfits Cotton wool/balls - for cleaning those first sticky poo's Thermometer and Tylenol/Paracetamol - Always best to have on hand because babies tend to get sick...in the middle of the night A suction syringe - For clearing the nose and throat of young babies when sick If you live in a cold climate, you should also add hat and warm coat or body suit Lotion or oil - especially if you live in a cold climate or have a darker skinned child

Does it shock you how short that list really is? Remember I said it was ABSOLUTE must-have's. Things that on a desert island you would still need. Of course, the list of nice-to-haves is slightly longer...and more subjective. Curious?

Nice to Have's:
Extra pillows for breastfeeding. A sling...but I was looking at them at the show and decided when I came home to experiment...a simple £2 pashram or 2-metre piece of coloured cloth will do just as well as a £20 or more fancy sling. A pram/car seat...if you drive or don't use buses/Tubes then these may actually go on the Must-Have's list. Toys such as rattles and an activity blanket/centre. I especially recommend books...even for young babies. Breast pump is especially useful if you plan to return to work or find your breast especially engorged in the early days. If you use a breast pump then you will also need bottles. One word of experience though, more expensive is not always better. The best breast pump I ever had was a simple cylinder model that the hospital gave me when my 7 year old was born.

Of course, this list is not exhaustive or even representative of all the thousands of baby products available. It was an exercise to show just how few of those products are really necessities. I think back to that couple of the Tube and wonder how many of the items in those bags will end up in NCT Nearly New sales, charity shops or on EBay...many of them never even used. In a time when recession and economic down-turns are common descriptive...and environmentally friendly is equally important, I believe it is important that we consider each purchase carefully.

And this is not to pass judgment on those parents on the Tube or the millions of others who may go a bit over the top for our new babies. We all have luxury items on our list that to us may seem absolute must-have's. For me...Johnson & Johnson's Bedtime Bath, the one that smells of lavender. Yes, I know the midwives say only warm water is needed to get the baby clean. And I do not necessarily believe it actually helps the baby sleep better. But it sure smells nice to mummy.

Babies Really Are NOT That Expensive

0 comments:

Post a Comment