Thursday, December 15, 2011

Funny Gardening Stories

You might not think it, but gardening can be an exciting adventure. No, it's true. Really, it is. I can tell you the funniest stories about things that have happened to me in my garden. From creatures big to small, something funny happens every year!

I love the taste of fresh food picked straight from the garden. And so do the creatures in my garden. Sometimes I think all my effort is only for them. I remember once when my little apple tree finally grew an apple. "Tomorrow," I thought to myself. "Tomorrow I will pick the first and only apple that has grown on my apple tree and then I will eat it." Only I never got to pick my apple. A squirrel got to it first. Which I might not have minded so much, except that he only took two or three bites, decided he didn't like the apple and threw it away. I was almost tempted to eat the apple anyways, but I wasn't quite sure if that would be a good idea.

Another time, when I was a little girl, my dad had this pretty little crab apple tree. One autumn, the tree was full of crab apples and my dad promised that we would pick the crab apples when they were ready in a couple of days. The next day I went out to the garden to look at this wonderful crab apple tree. Much to my dismay, one of the branches had been broken off and all the crab apples on the branch were gone! During the night a bear had come along and eaten all of the crab apples. No crab apple jelly for me. But at least the bear didn't go hungry!

Years ago, there was this beaver that would come up from the stream and onto our yard, just to eat the dandelions growing in the grass. He didn't want to move no matter what we were doing or how close we came to him. I have several pictures of the beaver eating the dandelions. He never even seemed to notice that I was standing right next to him in order to get a picture close up. Another time I was cutting the grass with a riding lawn mower and he didn't move at all, even when I came close to him. I finally had to leave that patch of lawn and cut it the next day. I sure do miss that beaver!

0 comments:

Post a Comment